So..this week was a little busy! Valentine's Day, Merchant Day, Pattern Party, a full day out of the classroom with meetings and a substitute teacher on Monday. With all that being said...we are carrying over this week's choice board to next week. They only had one day with it this week and next week is a four day week. This also applies to word study. We are starting a new computation unit in math, Unit 7. We are starting animal adaptations in science too.
Please remember: Tomorrow is Merchant Day!!! Send in all products. Please stop by if you like.
Also-I am looking for guest readers March 2. You can message me to come anytime that day besides our lunch, encore and recess times. 10:45-11:10, 11:55-12:25 and 2:05-2:50.
1. We are collecting canned foods for the 100th day of school for the Haymarket Food Pantry.
2. Merchant Day Business Proposals are doe on 2/8/17.
3. Please send in one prototype of your child's product oo service on the 8th-EVEN IF YOU ALREADY SENT IT IN. We need it for Pixie commercials 2/9.
4. We are handing out valentines on Valentine's Day. Please adhere to the guidelines sent home.
5. I need all pink Minute to Win It Permission Slip forms returned ASAP.
6.We are having a pattern party on 2/16/17. Please see the note coming home about this project and what needs to be sent in by your child.
7. Students who are bringing home book club projects in their classroom provided book bags may work on these for their 20 minutes of homework. This is in place of guided reading books being sent home. Students are either bringing home book club projects or guided reading books during the week.
8. I hope everyone is enjoying their TAKE HOME READING responses. The envelope with two responses for February needs to be brought in on 2/24/17 if you are participating.
9. In lieu of any chocolates or candy, please consider sending in extra school supplies for our classroom. It will aid in Mrs. Lake's health and longevity :)
10. If you are participating in our Guess Who Valentine's Day activity, we need them turned in by February 13.
January 17 Curriculum Update
Reading-We are currently working on the more difficult reader's response entries in our journals. Everyone was given a three ring binder with anchor charts and reading response entry forms. The students completed a character response on their own last week for a grade. Next week in their Choice Board, they will get to choose a reader's response entry to complete based on their independent reading. We are focusing on analyzing character next week. We are still completing literacy activities in the form of the LA Choice Board. A lot of students are completing Book Club projects that may travel home occasionally in each student's take home reading back.
Writing- We are focusing on How to Writing. Students chose three How-To-Writing pieces to complete. They are housed in their writing folders with additional craftivities to complete when the writing is done. We are getting new word study words on 1/23/17.
Math- We are finishing Unit 5 in Math. We will be testing over The Part A/The Store on Thursday. We will be testing on the rest of the CFA Unit 5 Test next week. It includes rounding, greater than/less than, equal or not equal and money to $1.00. We have been working for 20 minutes each day on our Math Enrichment Menu Projects. Three projects are due on 1/19/17. The students are really enjoying these! We will have one for the next unit after introductory lessons have been taught.
Social Studies-We are continuing our unit in Economics. A study guide went home last week. We are testing this Thursday. We will move back into Science and Ecosystems/ Fossils upon our return next week.
Merchant Day Project Proposals are Due 2/8/17. Please let me know if you need the (yellow) handout again for the Merchant Day information.
February 6-Be on the lookout for a great Take Home Reading Program that we are starting....optional but incentives to participate.
1/27/17-1/2 Day for Students and Parent/Teacher Conferences. I have reached out to the those parents I would like to meet with. Please let me know if you would like to meet with me that day or on the 30th in the afternoon.
What are we learning this week?
Reading-Main Idea and Supporting Details. Read to Self Check In Slips are on the choice board. Progress Monitoring in on-going for month of December.
Writing-Friendly letter writing using The Day The Crayons Quit and Please Write Back Our mentor sentence is from Snowmen at Night. Adjectives and past tense verbs are highlighted in this mentor sentence.
Math-Data analysis and probability is the focus towards the end of this unit. We started the unit learning about different types of graphs and the required parts of a graph.
Social Studies-Pueblo, Plains and Powhatan Indian Tribes.
Things to Remember!!!
Our Winter Celebration is on December 16 at 12:30-2:00. Bring games to play with your child and his/her friends. Book Exchange is Monday, December 19 at 11:15. I need your child's permission slip returned ASAP to participate in this activity as it involves popcorn and water. Please send in your book. Pajama Day is Friday, December 16. Interim Reports are going home December 21.
Welcome to Second Grade
What are we learning this week?
Reading-Read to Self, Read to Someone, Reading Stamina, Procedures, Intro to Choice Boards
Writing-Personal Narrative on "It's Okay to Be Different" (cross-curricular with citizenship in social studies).
Math-Missing Addend, UPSC, Doubles, Addition and Subtraction to 10
Corn Husking Lesson on Thursday with Laura, our cafeteria manager.
Omegaman Assembly on Friday with our guidance counselors.